america, New Jersey, New York, North America

From the Big Blue to the Concrete Jungle

On the water in the morning and by afternoon, walking through a bustling fair on 8th Street, NYC. That was my Saturday. If that could be my life regularly, that would be one successful life.

A trip to NYC is not something I will write about often, as I attend school on Long Island and frequently visit, especially when I have an internship. Plus, I am not trying to write a blog about my adventures in NYC. If that were the case, this blog would be named “Sara in the City.” However, Saturday filled me with the epitome of satisfaction and I am eager to share it with you.


Saturday started off with a beautiful ski on the Toms River. This was my first run of the season. The water was cool and the air was warm. The whole group was there: my dad, my dad’s father, Pop Pop, and my dad’s best friend, Mario. We hit the water like we hadn’t stopped for almost a whole year. The entire time I was skiing I was singing and squealing like a kid who just opened the most epic present ever. I was pleased with the duration of my ski, and even more pleased with the fact that I kicked a ski off so effortlessly, risking hurting my already inflamed and bruised toe. Our ski trip was a short one, as Pop Pop and I had an exciting day planned for us: We were headed to see Les Miserables on Broadway with my grandma.

I was in such a light and cheerful mood after my ski that I decided to run a mile along the water before hopping in the shower and rushing to get ready for Pop Pop’s 9:25 am arrival at my house. There’s nothing like some action on the water and a brisk jog to start the day off right.

Running route

We decided to take the bus to New York, which takes only 1 hour and 15 minutes from the NJ Transit terminal in Toms River to Port Authority in the city. My grandparents chatted with me the whole way up, and I could tell they were beyond thrilled to be seeing this with me. This was a super special trip for all of us because they tried persuading me to see this show with them when I was a child, but what eight-year-old girl wants to view a show about a war in France? Not this one. It took me until I saw the premiere of the motion picture of Les Mis with my high school theater group to fall head over heels for this show. For those of you who do not know, Les Miserables is about the hunt for a man who broke parole, and his adopted daughter who falls in love with a university student fighting for revolution in France during the 1800s. A movie description from IMDb can be found here. Ever since I realized how moving this show was, it was my dream to see it with my grandparents. Although this was my third time seeing it on Broadway, this was just as special as my first time seeing it, and I knew this would be the last time I see it before it ends its run on Broadway.

Carmine’s Bread Pudding

Prior to the show, my grandparents were enthused to take me to Carmine’s, a  famous family-style Italian restaurant. The incredible thing about this place is that one plate of food can serve multiple people. Although the restaurant says a plate of pasta can serve three to four people, each dish can definitely serve at least six. We met a nice family there; apparently the father had gotten out of jail not too long ago, and had been saving money to take trips with his two children. It was a very inspiring and unusual encounter. We ended up giving them our dessert because there was no way we would finish it.


We finished dining and headed over to the Imperial Theater to see the astounding musical. As assumed, it did not let me down and I think I can say the same for most of the theater, as all I heard were awe-struck sniffles around me at the end. We headed back to the bus station and headed home to end our fantastic day.

Grandma and I

Why did I want to tell you about this? This was simply another appreciated visit to my favorite city to add to my list, but for others, NYC is a huge trip. The thing about Saturday that made me so overwhelmed with joy and gratitude is the fact that I was able to wake up to a sunny, bright day, hop into the water, get some exercise, and then two hours later be breathing in the hustle and bustle of New York City. I often struggle with myself about what exactly I will do when I am done with school and where I will live. I am in love with the fast-paced, colorful city life, but my heart is also anchored in the ocean. Saturday showed me what life could be if I work hard enough and ensure that I continue doing what makes me happy.

“Step with care and great tact, and remember life’s a great balancing act!”

-Dr. Seuss

That’s what Saturday was: a balancing act. I morphed the two things that fill me with passion into one day. To be able to do that brings me great joy and appreciation for what I have done and can do in life. Being aware of what is possible will hopefully help me achieve my goals and balance my passions as I journey through this beautiful life.



14 thoughts on “From the Big Blue to the Concrete Jungle”

  1. I love this. I’m glad you’re finding a balance in your life and can’t wait to see where you end up!


  2. This is fantastic and sums up so nicely the delicate balance of “chill and thrill” you master so well!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s